By Erin Rook, PQ Monthly
The Portland Area Business Association (an LGBTQ chamber of commerce) is launching a career shadowing program to provide LGBTQ students with experiential learning opportunities and is currently seeking additional business participants.
The program is a partnership among PABA member businesses, LGBTQ agencies, non-profits, and higher education institutions in the Portland metro and Vancouver area. Student participants will learn about career opportunities in LGBTQ-supportive organizations and develop an understanding of how their identity and interests align with various fields of study and work.
PABA is currently looking for businesses/professionals who can provide shadow experiences in the following areas:
– Human Resources
– Technology, Computers
– Retail (music, books, clothing, grocery)
– Architecture, Design
– Communications/Public Relations
The LGBTQ business association plans to offer the program 3-6 times each year, depending on resources. Specifically, PABA needs the following resources to make the program a success:
– A meeting space and supplies
– LGBTQ and allied employees willing to donate 2-4 hours to work with a shadow program participant.
– Tours of a department or facility
– Equipment such as laptops (up to 6 may be needed), a wireless enabled printer, etc. – Underwriting costs of staff, meals, and supplies (corporate sponsorships of $1,000 and $2,500 corporate partnerships are available — each session costs approximately $1,000 to run)